System wide slowdown

From: Scott Harden <sharden_at_uillinois.edu>
Date: 11 Aug 2004 12:54:05 -0700

We are facing an problem that seems to manifest itself in a general slowdown of our entire OLTP system. During these slowdowns we have noticed 2 things: a high number of log file synch waits and a locking of the /proc table on UNIX (Solaris). During one such slowdown we noticed that a delete was being executed which did not use an index. The table being scanned during the delete is a collector table that is populated at times with many thousands of rows which are deleted after being consumed. The table only had a few rows in it but had many empty blocks which were being scanned during the full table scan caused by the delete. One slowdown corresponded perfectly with this activity. We has since re-organized the table to eliminate the empty blocks, but we do not understand how this may translate into high log file synch waits or locking of the UNIX proc table. Has anyone else hit this or do you have any knowledge to share on these symptons? If so, could you reply to sharden_at_uillinois.edu as well as this group? Thank you. Received on Wed Aug 11 2004 - 14:54:05 CDT