Re: Which Protocol to use?

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:50:03 -0400

Comments inline

--
Syltrem

OpenVMS 7.3-1 + Oracle 8.1.7.4
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site, en français)
---zulu is not in my email address---
"Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> a écrit dans le message de

> Syltrem wrote:
> > Both BEQ and TCP should give the same performance, but BEQ for clients
on
> > the same machine as your db server may be a better choice.
> > BEQ is a "more direct" way to communicate. I don't know what principle
it
> > uses on Unix (OpenVMS is my religion) but if you use TCP you get in
> > concurrence with all other TCP traffic. On heavily loaded networks, this
may
> > impact your Oracle throughput.
> >
> > Here for local clients I use BEQ, for all others I use TCP.
> > I once had a performance problem (in the beginning) and had to set
> > TCP.NODELAY=TRUE in PROTOCOL.ORA, but after that I had the exact same
> > performance using either one.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> Hard to believe, as TCP has all the overhead
> of communicating over (bad!) telephone lines,
> whereas BEQ (or IPC, for that matter) does not.

AFAIK, BEQ is only for clients running on the db server node. I would think this is true for all platforms. So that excludes telephone lines etc. I was talking about clients connecting from node 1 or node 2 of the same OpenVMS Alpha cluster, to the database that runs on either node (of course BEQ will only work for clients running on node 1 if the db server is on node 1). We experience the same speed with TCP or BEQ in this config.