Re: Recover rman backups to a new instance?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:36:38 +1000

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:00:37 +0200, akush <Berlin3010_at_web.de> wrote:

> Thanks for the answer.
>
> And what is with these backup sets that rman produces? These are all
> very big files with very cryptic names. How can i told the rman on the
> new instance that theses files should be taken for restoring the
> database?
>
> thxs
> akush

They don't have to be very big files. That's what attributes such as MAXPIECESIZE and FILESPERSET are there for. The cryptic names also don't have to be quite so cryptic. To guarantee uniqueness, sure, you tend to end up with numbers in the names. If you use %U as a substitution variable, you'll also end up with an 8-character sequence of letters and numbers which also guarantee uniqueness. But you could do this, for example:

backup format 'c:\backups\production_db_%U' database;

And hence stick your own, less obscure, strings around the unique bits RMAN needs to work properly.

As to the answer to your last question: you need to read the extensive documentation on RMAN at tahiti.oracle.com. It depends on whether you are running 8i, 9i or something else (I don't recall you ever mentioning a version). It depends on whether you have a recovery catalog or not (I again can't recall whether you do or don't). So the precise subtleties of how you'd go about doing it are a little out of scope for this forum. But if you want to know whether it's possible, the answer is 'yes'.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Aug 10 2004 - 19:36:38 CDT