Re: Oracle ODBC Drivers

From: steve <me_at_me.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 06:03:27 +0800

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:50:07 +0800, Michael John wrote (in article <8dbd6a8d.0408040150.1b0257d1_at_posting.google.com>):

> Hello!
>
> We are currently connecting various Versions of MS Access (2.0, 97,
> 2000, XP) on various Windows Clients (NT 4 SP6, 2000, XP) to Oracle
> 9.2.0.2.1 via ODBC.
>
> Furthermore, we are using different versions of Oracle ODBC Drivers:
> 9.02.00.02, 9.02.00.03, 9.02.00.04
> So, according to (1), these drivers are more than 3 years old.
>
> Is Oracle ODBC Driver 9.2.0.6.3 really the most recent version?
> What to bear in mind when upgrading to this version?
> Are there known Problems with that latest Version?
> Should we keep using the old ODBC Drivers?
> Is there a general strategy for rolling out such Driver changes?
>
> (1) http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/windows/odbc/index.html
>
> Thanks very much.
> mic

  1. is anything currently broken?
  2. do you have too much time on your hands?

if the answer to either of the above is "yes"

take 1 machine to the latest version of the drivers, leave it for 1 month of user abuse.

If you get no reported problems from user of machine.

clone that o/s machine to any similar o/s machines. ( norton ghost) ( also clone it to a set of cd/dvd, so you can bring any machine back to it's base setup , without wasting a day to install the os & every application)

repeat process for as many different o/s you are running.

Steve Received on Tue Aug 10 2004 - 17:03:27 CDT