Re: Hardware for 50 million record per year???

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 03:29:01 GMT

Sauron wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have not experiance with huge number of data.
> I need hardware for real time aplication, production, cca 50 million
> records per year in 1 table, many insert record. (cca 5-10 per sec)
>
> I look at some cluster (HP Proliant DL380 Packaged Cluster), 2x2 Xeon,
> maybe with 4GB RAM ?? Is it enough for thaz number of inserts??
>
> It must be HA, so I think RAC on that cluster, and maybe standby
> database on third server for reports (or can that cluster handle all
> inserts and reports??? - with Materialized Views maybe??)
>

> tnx for help

I'd start with async queueing techniques ... Advanced Queueing is part of the database. Then I'd probably add RAC. Oracle 10g includes RAC in the Standard Edition - good for 1-4 CPU machines. However, I'd also seriously consider Partitioning option, and that requires Enterprise Edition.

5-10 recs/sec is not too bad ... local orgs are driving 5-10 times that (1500-3000/minute) but they have moderately big iron and (IMO) a poorly designed app.

Grab yourself, Tom Kyte's 'Effective ORacle by Design' to get some benchmark tools and benchmark.

Your main issues will disk performance and compensating for the application. Both can be helped tremendously using Partitioning.

Typical apps will have been designed for single record inserts with a commit after each. Far better would be bulk array bind/insert.

Then again, are your keeping the data online forever? Received on Mon Aug 09 2004 - 22:29:01 CDT