Re: oracle - mysql comparison

From: Tony Douglas <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 9 Aug 2004 02:52:22 -0700

Karl Schendel <schendel_at_kbcomputer.com> wrote in message news:<schendel-D4A0A5.18493721072004_at_netnews.comcast.net>...

<snip>

Hi Karl,

> It's true, an insert into a heap takes an "extend" lock on the last page
> (which is where heaps always insert). So if you have a heap, only one
> person can insert at a time. The answer is of course "don't do that".
> Many years ago, heap-with-index was popular with some Ingres database
> designers -- I have no idea why. I made a nice profit a couple years
> back, fixing some sites that had that setup.

I think heap+index was at one time recommended for very large tables, as it was quicker to drop and recreate the index than modify the entire table to reorganise it. I think there's even a note to this end in older CA course material (PERFOI version 1), although even there it's got major caveats against it. Even we abandoned this silliness over 8 years ago though.

PS. Someone seriously talking about moving from Oracle to MySQL ? Sheesh... you'd have to be severely under-utilising Oracle for that to be a goer... Of the open source databases, my preferred choice is now Ingres (yay), but prior to that PostgreSQL was the one, and even then only with huge "Warning ! Danger Will Robinson !" notices, for pretty much the reasons mentioned elsewhere. At risk of reigniting an earlier flamefest, I quite liked PostgreSQL's MVCC implementation... Received on Mon Aug 09 2004 - 04:52:22 CDT