Re: Extent Management 101

From: hastenthunder <hastenthunder_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 17:57:12 -0400

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> wrote in message news:r23dh0d2ph25dkm8dbclhpmjk9jfa16ra1_at_4ax.com...
> On 8 Aug 2004 08:03:47 -0700, melliott42_at_yahoo.com (Michael) wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Though I have read about Extents in various books, as a new Oracle DBA
> >using 8.17 I still do not grasp how I need to manage them.
> >
> >1. Basically, what are common Extent related issues and what are the
> >actions as a DBA I need to know to address them?
> >
> >2. Any absolute Do's and Dont's on managing Extents?
> >

> >Thanks for your advice,
> >
> >Michael
>

> just make sure all your tablespaces except System are locally managed
> and forget about the issue.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

My Oracle books seem to suggest that too. Therefore I made all my tablepaces locally managed, that they seem to work well.
However, I sometimes get "Tablespace too fragmented to create bitmap index" error. I guess I can just use regular indexes instead, but I don't understand the root of the problem here. Received on Sun Aug 08 2004 - 16:57:12 CDT