Re: Help: 10g on Fedora Core 2, ORA-27125

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 18:29:14 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> On 7 Aug 2004 15:33:43 -0700, David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>> David Freeman <$d$a$v$i$d$@nospam.davidfreeman.net> wrote in message

[...]
>>> Renaming the $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle executable to oracle.bin and then
>>> creating a script that invokes it and ensures that this variable is
>>> utilized:
>>> This from http://www.orafaq.com/msgboard/linux/messages/568.htm :
>>> cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
>>>
>>> mv oracle oracle.bin
>>>
>>> cat >oracle <<"EOF"
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>>
>>> export DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1
>>> exec $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle.bin $@
>>> EOF
>>>
>>> chmod +x oracle
>>>
>>> =========================================================

[...]
>>> I hope this sets you right; please repost to the newsgroup to confirm.
>>>
>>> Sincerely looking for a job right now,
>>>

>>> David Freeman
>>> http://www.davidfreeman.net/DavidFreemanResume.txtOn Tue, 01 Jun 2004
>>> 21:39:34 +0200, Igor Racic wrote:
>>>

>> Renaming the oracle executable to oracle.bin and writing a wrapper
>> script was unnecessary since you could easily place the 'export
>> DISABLE_HUGETLBFS=1' code in the .profile or .bash_profile for the
>> oracle Linux user account, thus setting it without the workaround you
>> coded.
>>
>> David Fitzjarrell

> Interesting. I was about to post back to the OP along the lines of
> David Freeman's workaround. And then I was going to post back to David
> Freeman to assure him that the wrapper script was indeed the one thing
> he altered which made it all work. Now the other David posts that what
> the wrapper script does is just as easily done with an 'export' command
> somewhere... despite the fact that exporting that environment variable
> in precisely the same way David suggests does NOT make Oracle 10g
> work.... whereas the wrapper script DOES.
>
> It is rather odd, because I can't see the script does much that the
> inclusion of 'export DISABLE...' in .bashrc or somewhere similar
> wouldn't do. But they aren't equivalent, in my experience, and the
> wrapper script is indeed needed.
>
> Some Linux guru will no dount explain why they aren't actually
> achieving the same thing, I am sure!
>
> Regards
> HJR
Not a Linux guru, but most likely it has to do with the flavor of exec() system call being used. Excerpt from Red Hat man page:

"The execle function also [explicitly] specifies the environment of the executed process [...] The other [exec] functions take the environment for the new process image from the external variable environ in the current process."

So one possible explanation is that the oracle binary is using execle, thus using exec instead in the wrapper script causes the existing environment to be passed along as desired.

As one poster in comp.os.linux.misc stated, "[Unix is] the result of 31 years of tradition, hacking, and stuff that worked in the field. Hence logic was discarded in favor of pragmatism....". And Linux is just the youngest bastard child of all Unices that went before, so what can you expect?

--Mark Bole Received on Sun Aug 08 2004 - 13:29:14 CDT