Re: Question about Oracle Developer Application and Application Server

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 14:34:39 GMT

Krist wrote:

> Hi Daniel/Hans,
>

>> You _may_ need to purchase the IAS Java Edition to legally deploy
>> standalone.

> Is IAS Java Edition enough ??
> I read in oracle website, the features : 'Oracle Application Server
> Reports Services' and 'Oracle Application Server Forms Services' ONLY
> available in Enterprise Edition.
>
> Thank you,
> Krist

My take is "NO, IAS Java Edition is not enough for a complete and legal config". (If I am wrong, I'd appreciate proof using links/pointers.) But you might be able to use Java Edition to lower your total cost.

If you look at the diagram on page 14 of http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/pdf/forms904TechnicalOverview.pdf you will see that Forms Services consists of a http server, a servlet and the forms 'runtime' f90web engine.

So technically you 'only' need the the f90web engine and a J2EE Container servlet engine an http server and an access path between the http server and the servlet engine.

Theoretically Oracle App Server Java Edition (AS-JE) provides the http server, the access path (mod_oc4j) and the J2EE container (OC4J). Therefore the only thing you need to find is a f90web Forms runtime server. AFAIK, f90web is only bundled in the Forms portion of Developer Suite and in the App Server Enterprise Edition (AS-EE).

So if I wanted a legal minimum-price config in a multi-server environment, I would investigate the CPU-based mix of Oracle AS-EE for the back-end Forms 'server' and Oracle AS-JE for access necessary for my load.

/Hans Received on Sun Aug 08 2004 - 09:34:39 CDT