Re: Which is better: Oracle or SQLServer

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 10:53:07 -0700

Brian Marasca wrote:

>>You are a troll trying to start a flame war

> I know you're not the person who posted this, but I was stunned to see it.
> Whatever the answer is, surely it is valid to discuss the strengths and
> weaknesses of Oracle vs. SQL Server. I didn't see the original post, so
> maybe the poster *was* an obvious troll, but the question itself isn't
> trollish. I work with both of those databases, both have their pros and
> cons, and I'm always interested in discussing them.
>
> I've never been here before, but since the NG is 'comp' dot something rather
> than 'oracle' dot something, I assumed it wasn't just for folks whose
> religion is Oracle, and who are offended by the mere mention of another
> system. I hope I'm not wrong about that, because I was looking forward to
> participating here.
>
> Brian

The OP admitted he was a troll and was trying to get a response from Sybrand.

Of course there is value in discussing the differences between different RDBMS product available. But to do so it must be in the context of what it is the organization wishes to accomplish. Security requirements, scalability, performance requirements, number of simultaneous transactions, etc.

If someone can tell us what they specifically need they will get answers. When they can't they are marked as a troll and reviled.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington