Re: Some RMan Questions

From: Oradba Linux <techiey2k3_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:50:58 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:opscpov3w33d8uqx_at_shostakovich.dizwell.com...
> On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:37:14 GMT, Oradba Linux <techiey2k3_at_comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

> > "Michael" <melliott42_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks all for the very useful responses!
> >
> > Have another question about RMAN Backups . When backing up archive logs
> > , if
> > the command
> > backup archivelog is issued then Oracle knows the archive destination
and
> > archive log file format . What if i compress the archive log
> > files , how can i then backup the archive log files ? Does backup
> > archivelog
> > like '%arc%' work ? Has anybody tried ?
>
> I've said this before, and others here have disagreed, which is fine, but
> I personally still find it utterly bizarre that anyone would ever compress
> their archives. They're the only thing standing between you and data loss
> for a start (just at the end of June, I encountered a ZIP file which
> wouldn't unzip... not the same, I suppose, but similar enough to stop me
> ever thinking about mucking about with my archives). And recovery could do
> without having to indulge in a bit of decompression before it can actually
> get going, for another thing.
>
> That aside, as soon as you compress an archive, it's not an archive from
> Oracle's perspective, and RMAN won't back it up.
>
> Regards
> HJR
I worked at client site which had about 100+ production instances running on HP-UX .
We had a DR exercise every 6 months . We used to compress the archive file always
and uncompress them before doing recovery . I understand now that RMAN would not back it up .
Our backup solution obviously did not include RMAN . I honestly have not encountered a problem
uncompressing the archives . But again i could be just lucky . Received on Sat Aug 07 2004 - 10:50:58 CDT