Re: Split partition

From: zeb <spam_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 09:39:23 +0200

> I don't know why your new partition is empty, but it's probably to do with
> date formats, which I'm hopeless at at the best of times. But you ask why
> the local index is unusable, and that one I can asnwer: it's just the way
it
> is. Partition DDL (such as merge, split, etc) always invalidates *any*
> partitions which happen to reference the partition undergoing the DDL.
That
> means the local index for that partition/those partitions; it also means
any
> global indexes you may have on that table, in their entirety (one of the
> main reasons for not wanting global indexes, of course).
>
> Being 9i, and presumably release 2, you can now do your partition DDL with
> the new 'update global indexes' clause to keep global indexes in working
> order rather than have them invalidated. But from the words in the syntax
> themselves, you can guess that this is only an option for global indexes.
> Local indexes are still invalidated, and there's no way around that.

I looked through TOAD ( I know, I know ... ) and I did an analyze , and the rows come back ... I understand your explanation for Local/global index no hope for local index...

I thank you ,Howard and Daniel Morgan, for your positive attitude in this newsgroup ... Received on Sat Aug 07 2004 - 02:39:23 CDT