Re: First

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:50:28 -0700

Joel Garry wrote:

> Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1091760257.481557_at_yasure>...
>

>>Once again ... reread the OP's post. The request never once indicated an
>>interest in first anything. FIRST only occurs in some crude pseudocode.
>>It is not in the description of what was requested.

> What the hell, are you hitting the Glenfiddich again? The code
> fragment was clarifying what the OP wanted. Why do you think everyone
> else is wrong? Should we not have corrected the typo "link" to "like"
> and added a question mark to complete the sentence?
>
> OP:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Does Qracle 9i support a SELECT that returns
>>only a subset of the records
>>
>>something link
>>
>>SELECT FIRST 1 * FROM tablename

> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Take investors money, bankrupt company, then buy back company from
> bankruptcy for pennies. Is this a great country or what?
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040806/news_1b6xelan.html

To answer your question honestly ... yes. I think one person latched onto the word FIRST in the pseudocode and everyone else followed up on that response rather than reading the question.

Glenfiddich or not ... and actually it was Macalan ... there is no way you can turn "subset of the records" into FIRST unless you're drikning Stoli.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington