Re: Block DML!?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 06:55:07 -0700

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>DBMS_REDEFINITION does insert records into a new table .

> I know it does. It inserts every row that was in the *old* table. Which the
> OP explicitly did NOT want to happen. He wants a brand new table with zero
> records in it. As soon as he insists on that point, dbms_redefinition is out
> of consideration. I think the phrase in the manuals was "you cannot
> horizontally subset your records with dbms_redefinition"... which was a
> glorious way of saying "you cannot supply a where clause". And hence, if the
> original table has 300 million rows in it, or whatever, then so will the new
> one.
>

>>.. the one
>>defined in the redefinition procedure as the interim table. And, as you
>>indicate, the price is quite a bit lower.

> The price is irrelevant if the package doesn't do what the poster has quite
> clearly asked of it: namely, the effective creation of a new, blank table
> into which fresh records can be inserted and the simultaneous creation of an
> old table, stuffed full of archivable records. If that's not a job for
> exchanging partitions, I don't know what is. And if that's the solution to a
> specific business need, then the cost is largely irrelevant.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>University of Washington
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

All valid points. And, BTW, who or what has turned you into a top poster?

One could, of course, alwayss do "partitioning" the way the sold that bill of goods to the DB2 folks. Make a bunch of tables. Create a view putting them all together with UNION ALL. Give it the name of the original table. Spend money advertising that you have partitioning and didn't send any money to Redwood Shores. Yech!

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington