Re: Some RMan Questions

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 02:55:21 GMT

Mladen Gogala wrote:
[..]

>>2. How to compress the RMan file during the backup (I am low on
>>diskspace).

> Turn on compression on your tape drive. If you are contemplating something
> like export to a pile [sic] with a simultaneous gzip, forget it, it doesn't
> work.

[...]

Multiple (parallel) EXP processes, writing to gzip'ed pipes, works great under Solaris, HP-UX, and Linux. Been using it for years without problems. But that's not the same thing as an RMAN backup.

Oracle 10g has a built-in compression option for RMAN files, from what I've read in the documentation.

--Mark Bole Received on Thu Aug 05 2004 - 21:55:21 CDT