Re: Some RMan Questions

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:45:35 -0400

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:29:26 -0700, Michael wrote:

> In Oracle 8.17 on Sun using RMan with a FULL DATABASE backup to Disk can
> someone please explain:
>
> 1. How to specify a tablespace(s) to NOT backup?

You can't. When you give command like "Backup database", RMAN decides what to backup. That's the purpose of RMAN. You can use "BACKUP DATAFILE" and "BACKUP TABLESPACE" to pick and choose.

> 2. How to compress the RMan file during the backup (I am low on
> diskspace).

Turn on compression on your tape drive. If you are contemplating something like export to a pile with a simultaneous gzip, forget it, it doesn't work.

> 3. How to break the backup into two pieces and specify a different
> location for both?

FILESPERSET will allow you to specify number of files, but you cannot send them to different destinations.

> I am not sure if the above are possible. Thanks for you help.

This is not the first time you ask a question like this. Next time, I'll have you meet my friend Robert Freeman, a renowned martial artist.

--
A city is a large community where people are lonesome together.