Re: ASM stripe width in 10g

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 06:12:25 +1000

"Kevin" <kevin_rm_at_pimmentos.com> wrote in message [snip]

> Additionally, ASM claims to prevent fragmentation. I don't buy this
> either. If fragmentation refers to the sizeable space unavailable in
> a datafile because no objects can allocate their next extent inside
> it, and I can still have a dictionary managed tablespace using ASM, I
> could still find a way to get some very fragmented data files.

Well, if you use ASM in its full-blown guise, you will simlpy say things like 'crete tablespace DATA' (i.e., using OMF techniques), and at that point you will get a locally managed tablespace, and hence practically no fragmentation.

If you're going to use ASM at all, the idea of even wanting to use dictionary managed tablespaces is incredibly weird: willing to "let go" on the one hand, and insisting on space management control on the other. I think we call that schizophrenia.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Aug 05 2004 - 15:12:25 CDT