Re: Recalling SQL history does not work in UNIX version of SQL*Plus???

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2004 08:59:24 -0500

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004, bricklen-rem_at_yahoo.comz wrote:
> Forte Agent wrote:
>

>> In Windows version of SQL*Plus, pressing up arrow brings
>> previous SQL statements.  However, it is not working in UNIX
>> version of SQL*Plus (we use HP/UX).  Is there something that
>> we need to set to make it work?  Thank you in advance.
>>

> I believe that if you use emacs, you can get command history
> etc. Not being a frequent user of it, I can't say for
> sure. Galen is an emacs buff, IIRC, so maybe he (or someone
> else) will chip in with more details.

Emacs allows for "inferior/child" processes within a buffer. To augment sqlplus and allow for better editing and other such it then allows specific elisp modes to be tied to it. The stock functionality ties the shell-mode to the sqlplus mode and then adds some additional features.

It really is a fantastic environment. The issue is that you need to learn Emacs, and that is not an easy proposition for many who have work to accomplish "right now".

--
Galen Boyer