Re: So much for HA!

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_nospam.cox.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 13:58:46 GMT

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:36:09 GMT, Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote:
>Joel Garry wrote:
>
>> I'm sure many have noticed it by now:
>>
>> ------------------------
>> 03-Aug-04, 4:00 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time - The TARs button may not be
>> visible on MetaLink due to an internal TAR server problem. This issue
>> is being worked as a top priority and the TARs button will be enabled
>> once again as soon as possible.
>> ------------------------
>>
>> I'm glad someone has sev 1 support :-)
>>
>> I noticed glitches all day, but thought it was because I've been
>> tracking down some network weirdness in OAS10g and futzing with my
>> proxy/TCP settings (it seems possible to ignore timeout settings in
>> web.xml under some conditions). Then when I tried to access an
>> unrelated tar I entered a few hours ago and never got an email
>> notification (hey, sometimes the analysts forget to hit "send email"),
>> I got no access to see tars. After logging in again, my tar button
>> had disappeared. Horrors! When does my contract expire! Why does it
>> show "Open, update and close TARs No " on my profile! I AM the
>> #$%#$%#$ Administrator! :-O
>>
>> We have an amazingly thin thread attaching us to information. I admit
>> it, I'm a metalink addict. I hope someone 'fesses up to what really
>> happened.
>>
>> jg
>> --
>> @home.com is bogus.
>> What to do if your tar button disappears:
>> http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?p_database_id=NEW&p_id=817789.994
>> (Expiry date must be less than the current date?) That is just crying
>> out for parody.
>
>The "tahiti.oracle.com" documentation site (or at least, the 9i version
>documentation in my part of the world) was down on July 16th for a while
>too (several posts in OTN forums confirm this). Makes me remember what
>a pain it is to try to keep locally-accessible, up-to-date documentation
>at your fingertips at all times. In other words, 99.999 <> 100.

Yeah, I tend to download stuff I know I will need to the computer I'm working on, and keep a list of what I've downloaded on a device that gets backed up. All bookmark options imply net access. I guess if the network is the computer, the computer breaks a lot.

>I only open 3-4 TAR's a year, typically, but that's because many times I
>find the bug (or whatever) first via a Metalink search. If I could have
>Metalink access without TAR support I'd be almost as happy.

There are some patch downloads that require a password generated by a TAR. My TAR that happened to be during the outage was one of them, of course.

jg

--
These opinions are my own.
http://www.garry.to                                       Oracle and unix guy.