Re: Inserts on Linked Table and Performance

From: Eric Parker <eric.parkerthedross_at_virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 17:03:34 +0100

"Michael" <melliott42_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:91721cf.0408031308.3330e3e6_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am performing an insert simliar to the below using Oracle 8.17. How
> can I:
>
> 1. Speed up the INSERT? In some cases I have millions of rows.
>
> 2. Truncate the table on the remote end? When I issue a truncate
> table command on a linked table it says it is not supported.
>

> INSERT INTO owner.RemoteTable_at_link_db SELECT * FROM owner.LocalTable;
>

> Thanks,
>
> Michael

Michael

One way I've done this in the past is to have a procedure at the remote site that
performs the DDL (truncate) operation.
If you always truncate prior to the insert then a faster solution could be to again
have a procedure at the remote site that first drops the table then performs a
"create table DestinationTable nologging parallel as select * from SourceTable_at_ReverseLink_db".

eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly