Re: Is Raid 5 really that bad for Oracle?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 21:13:07 +0800

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Noons wrote:
>
> > Connor McDonald apparently said,on my timestamp of 3/08/2004 10:15 PM:
> >

> >> Result: - They've halved the number of spindles
> >> - They've not enough disk space
> >> but hey...at least we've got a SAN
> >

> > Wait until the IT damager decides to go to a NAS
> > because it's "better value"...
>
> The performance difference between SAN and NAS used to be of critical
> importance. I am not seeing enough difference these days to justify
> the huge difference in price. Is anyone having a different experience?
>
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

The next version of NFS (is it 4?) is touted to resolve a lot of the issues with NAS. I know of a few clients (albeit hardly massive database activity) that are happily running oracle on netapp

cheers
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"