Re: Dynamic SGA and pinned

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 21:11:00 +1000

"Jack" <none_at_noe.com> wrote in message news:7j0Qc.73$TO4.40_at_read3.inet.fi...
> When
> SQL> sho sga
>
> Total System Global Area 1888562788 bytes
> Fixed Size 458340 bytes
> Variable Size 1803550720 bytes
> Database Buffers 83886080 bytes
> Redo Buffers 667648 bytes
> SQL>
>
> Oracle.exe size is about 400Mb so it DOES NOT steals all of
> its memory from the operating system .

So?

I take it from your mention of "oracle.exe" that we are dealing with Windows.

Further than that, I cannot go, since you provide *zero* information. 9i? 10g?

The little test I posted earlier, the results of which you so blythely ignore, was Windows 2003 and 10g.

And let's try and compare apples with apples, shall we? Your post simply says that there is more memory nabbed by oracle.exe than what is required for the SGA. Which I won't argue with. My post says, if you set SGA_MAX_SIZE to X, then X is allocated. Not V and a bit of W tucked away somewhere in case of need.

Explain to me, please, why "Total System Global Area" increases when I increase SGA_MAX_SIZE, despite *none* of the constituent parts of the SGA having been increased in size.

HJR Received on Wed Aug 04 2004 - 06:11:00 CDT