Re: Moving datafiles, freeing space

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Aug 2004 15:00:17 -0700

Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:<Xns953A5DA207E9Achuckhnospamsofthome_at_130.133.1.4>...
> Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in
>
> > On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:32:56 +0000, Chuck wrote:
> >
> >> After moving an oracle datafile, it sometimes takes hours or even
> >> days for the space to become free in the filesystem that the datafile
> >> was moved from. Why is this? Is there a way force Oracle to release
> >> this space without restarting the instance?
> >>
> >> Platform AIX 4.3, Oracle 8.1.7.4
> >
> > Unmount the file system and re-mount it again.
> >

> This is a 24x7x364 production database. There are other datafiles on that
> filesystem. Unmounting and remounting are not an option. Neither is
> bouncing the instance which also frees up the space immediately.

http://ftp.cerias.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/sysutils/lsof/

Perhaps you can use this to prove an Oracle process has the former file open, or conversely, that Sybrand is right.

Also see http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=74oc51%243ne%241%40nnrp1.dejanews.com&output=gplain

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
I think nothing on the internet will be secure without a strong