Re: Moving datafiles, freeing space

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 3 Aug 2004 13:08:40 GMT

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in news:1091499418.354167_at_yasure:

> Chuck wrote:
>

>> After moving an oracle datafile, it sometimes takes hours or even
>> days for the space to become free in the filesystem that the datafile
>> was moved from. Why is this? Is there a way force Oracle to release
>> this space without restarting the instance?
>>
>> Platform AIX 4.3, Oracle 8.1.7.4

> Discuss it with your IBM rep.
>
> Then upgrade to 5L.

We have 5L on some of our systems. We see the same issue there. In fact I've seen it on AIX, Solaris, HPUX, IRIX, SCO, and Windows 2000. The only common denominator is Oracle (both 8i and 9i seem to do it). And on all of the aforementioned platforms, stopping the instance immediately frees up the space. I was hoping someone could offer a reason why Oracle holds on to the space, and perhaps some trick to get it to release it short of waiting hours, or restarting the instance (which is not a possibility in this particular case).

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email