Re: Dynamic SGA and pinned

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:54:41 +1000

Howard J. Rogers apparently said,on my timestamp of 3/08/2004 9:35 PM:

>>In other words, the whole "dynamic" thing is pointless. It's like making
>>a bowl of cereal and then having half of the bowl covered , so you don't
>>see it. An exercise in futility.

> Well, as I said... it's entirely true that the SGA is not actually dynamic.
> But the feature that they call 'dynamic SGA' (ie, the ability to dynamically
> resize the various pools within the SGA) is not to be sniffed at, and I
> wouldn't call it futile.

It may actually be a little more than that. IIRC the original presentation, Oracle will "reserve" a chunk of shared memory equal to SGA_MAX_SIZE but it will only mark to the OS as "non-pageable" the portion that it uses. Not that it matters much: it's still a kludge to make the SGA "re-sizable", as Mladen pointed out. It's not really: it's a fixed size that gets all used or not. Duh!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto