Re: Estimating the size of an istance

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2004 23:12:28 -0700

"Nicky" <fuffaspam_at_quipo.it> wrote in message news:<celnk6$48$1_at_newsserver.cilea.it>...
> Hello !
>
> Do you know if there is a formula (or something similar) to estimate the
> size that an instance^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H database of oracle could growth ?
>
> I can calculate the size of the data I insert in the database, but I don't
> know how oracle stores it in the file system
>
> Thanks a lot

Load some data and find out:

pre-requisite pre-install tasks
install the oracle database server software patch
create a listener
create database
create the schema
grant some roles, privs to it
create some tables, say pctfree 1
load some test data into tables (sqlldr, imp, ctas) create the appropriate indexes
gather schema stats
 (exec dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats(ownname=><schema_name>, cascade=>true);
examine user_tables, user_indexes

adhoc untested, but this should give you the general idea: select table_name, rpad('1TABLE',30), blocks, round(num_rows/(blocks-empty_blocks),1) avg_rows_per_block   from user_tables
union all
select table_name, index_name, leaf_blocks, round(num_rows/leaf_blocks,1) avg_rows_per_block from user_indexes
 order by table_name, index_name;

document it.
burger and beer time.

If you want to go into more detail, check out the vsize function.

-bdbafh Received on Tue Aug 03 2004 - 01:12:28 CDT