Re: Installation of Oracle 10g RAC on solaris

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:13:58 -0700

Praveen wrote:

> hello,
>
> I am planning on installing oracle 9i/10g RAC on Solaris platform. I
> checked for 9i RAC and I will be needing Sun Cluster 3.1 on the
> solaris platform. From the certify & availability (metalink), I
> noticed that with 10g we can use Oracle OSD Clusterware to perform the
> same funtion as Sun Cluster.
>
> Do I need any additional softwares for file/ volume management like
> Veritas volume manager etc for Oracle 10g on solaris? Does Oracle OSD
> clusterware is all that I need?
>
> I checked for 10g install documents and it still says that sun cluster
> is needed? did anyone try installation with oracle clusterware( with
> softwares for just file/volume management)
>
> Thanks for the advice,
> Praveen

If you use 10g you should not need SunCluster or Veritas provided you have read all of the volumes of notes at metalink and are ready to wade through that swamp before the release of Patch 1.

But what is it you are planning to use for storage? If you use NetApp, for example, clusterware is not required.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington