Re: oracle 9i r4 on win2000 pro with 8GB

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2004 15:03:41 -0700

Matthias Wirtz <Matthias.Wirtz_at_abbrevation.com> wrote in message news:<2n7fsnFtj863U2_at_uni-berlin.de>...
> Hi,
>
> I have a big box (Intel - win200) with 8GB of memory. I thought having a
> total SGA (oracle 9i r4) of 4 - 5 GB but I get a 'out of memory' error
> while starting up the instance.
>
> It looks like windows is limitting the main memory per process rate. Is
> there a way to change the default settings? Or to run oracle in several
> processes?

You can get 8 GB of memory in a 2U server these days, which is not big.
I believe that you mean 9.2.0.4 for the Oracle Database Server software version + patchset.

The info below is not an attempt in any way to refute HJR's post below that you probably don't need to use large memory on win32.

What version on Windows 2000 Server are your running? (Advanced?)  Windows 2000 Server Standard Edition does not support large memory.

What docs have you read in Metalink concerning large memory configuration?

What switches have you enabled in the boot.ini?

What is the average landspeed of an unladen swallow?

If you manage to get the single oracle.exe process above 3 * 1000 * 1000 * 1000 bytes on win32 oracle, I'll send you a bookpool certificate for 50 USD.
I've seen the error messages - internal restriction exceeded. The memory allocation will never reach 3 GB. The virtual memory allocation will never reach 3 GB (you'll hit this one first).

The buffer_cache and pga_aggregate_target are not committed until you actually throw memory, but the sga (large, shared, java pools, log buffer) will be committed upon instance startup (against virtual memory).

use the utility psinfo.exe from sysinternals.com to track this properly.

Consider setting orastack to reduce process memory overhead. This can reduce the private stack from 1 MB to 512KB per session.

The Hart/Sale 9i windows reference (Oracle Press) text covers this well.

start here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/info/bootini.shtml You'll want the /3GB and /PAE switches set.

you can verify this is HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control - SystemStartOptions :: FASTDETECT 3GB PAE You can also right click on "My Computer" > "Properties". You will see "Physical Address Extension" if /PAE has been set.

Exactly how large is your shared_pool?
Are you using pga_aggregate_target?
More than likely, its your app code that requires attention, not having a 2.65 GB oracle.exe process.

v$sql, v$sql_plan and statspack might yield a better ROI on your time spent.

hth.

Pd Received on Mon Aug 02 2004 - 17:03:41 CDT