Dynamic SGA and pinned

From: Erik Hendrix <hendrix_erik_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 13:59:08 -0700

Hi,

I have a question regarding Oracle 10g and it's dynamic SGA. We are currently evaluating different hardware platforms as well as database platform. Dynamic configuration is an important part for us. I understand that on Solaris, one can set a Oracle parameter (SGA_MAX_SIZE?) to a maximum value. Oracle can then use DISM to pin into memory what it currently needs and leave in swap space what it does not need. This would allow us to set it for example to 32GB but only use 4GB. When we then give the host more memory, we can then increase Oracle's active SGA and it will start pinning more memory into RAM.

I'm wondering what the deal is on AIX and HP-UX? Does Oracle pin the SGA into RAM on these platforms? If it does, how does it work with dynamic configuration? Will it like on Sun allocate all the memory but only pin what is currently required?

Thanks. Received on Mon Aug 02 2004 - 15:59:08 CDT