Re: ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:26:47 +0200

On 1 Aug 2004 21:43:35 -0700, yls177_at_hotmail.com (yls177) wrote:

>i am on windows 2000, with oracle 8.1.7. My oracle was fine in the
>past. Until today, when i have problems with connection and found out
>that oracle has this "ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error". I
>checked the oracleservice<sid> service and it was running. I also did
>a stop/start, and a restart but both failed. Eventually, i did a
>reboot of the system and it is fine now.
>
>I searched OSS and came across this note 441518 with the below
>section.
>
>"11. Check whether a reboot solves the problem. This solved the
>problem in the past, for example, in the case of problems accessing
>pipes such as
>
>sntpcall: Attempting to open pipe \\.\PIPE\ORANTPFE8.A68
>sntpcall: Failed to open pipe \.\PIPE\ORANTPFE8.A68, err = 2
>
>in the Net8 trace and in the subsequent ORA-12560. "
>

>My questions are as follows
>1) Does it mean that this will happen consistently in future?
>2) my alert file did not show the above error messages either.

  1. why would that be?
  2. the doc speaks about *the net8 trace*, not about the alert

put sqlnet in trace mode ( I have numerous times posted how to do this, and also posted numerous times how to resolve ora-12560 and still people prefer NOT to search Google and to ask this boring question AGAIN) and post your trace file. Do NOT try to think for the group, leaving out details

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA