Re: linux os cache and ocfs

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:06:17 +0200

utkanbir wrote:

> Hi Fabrizio,
>
> Thanks for your mail ,
>
> I have written a small c program which does open by using O_DIRECT ,
> and i have also checked the open.c file , it contains O_DIRECT flag .
> My c program has an error when i run it against ext3 file system , but
> runs ok with Ocfs .
> May be ext3 does not support direct io , on the other hand now i am
> sure ocfs supports it.

 From redhat website:

"Red Hat Linux in its default
configuration is not affected by this bug, because the ext3 file system (the default file system in Red Hat Linux 7.2 and later) does not support the O_DIRECT feature."

I'd bet your version doesn't support O_DIRECT on ext3 as well.

> (May be these executables open files once at startup and use the same
> handle , what do you think ?)

You can try to mount the instance, start strace on the background process and then open the DB. You should be able to see the "open" syscall.

Your problem could explain an issue on a recent thread on the suse-oracle mailing list. I'll inquire suse support directly. You shold do the same with redhat.

Regards
Fabrizio

--
Fabrizio Magni