Re: Oracle 10G for Solaris x86

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Jul 2004 14:50:53 -0700

"UNIX admin" <tripivceta_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<4108950d$0$1945$5402220f_at_news.sunrise.ch>...
> > Of course, the bit about testing it on every possible configuration
> > and making sure it works for all OS's for all time to come even when
> > vendors change which compilers they supply and how makefiles work,
> > doesn't count in build time.
>
> No, it doesn't, of course. You'd have that overhead with or without
> packaging. You have to compile your product no matter what, or?
>
> > Is Oracle even compiled to what you call compiled before it is
> > shipped? If not, should it be?
>
> I don't understand the question.

Have you ever done an Oracle installation? Have you done an ls -lR of what is on the cd? Ever looked at the make.log? The installActions.log? There are a number of different things involved. It's not just linking a bunch of compiled images together. The installer is taking a complex heterogenous code base and making it work on a number of different machines - in some cases, different pieces of Oracle are running cooperatively on different architecture machines. I didn't like OUI at first either, especially with stupid things in the earlier versions like not being able to deal with multiple cd's or just hanging, or not having a simple command line interface - I'm a longtime CLI bigot. But now, I'm glad I can use the same thing for OAS on Windows as the db on unix. And blame Windows for anything that goes wrong on that platform, even stupid registry things that are probably Oracle's fault.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Because of the dark world of the Internet, I'm told there are now