ORA-01401: how to get more details ?

From: André Hartmann <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 10:17:19 +0200

Hi,

  sometimes I get

ORA-01401: inserted value too large for column

  and this typically happens with tables that have quite a number of columns
(>=40). What I have to do is go through all the values that should have been
inserted and compare the size of each value with the column definition to detect which one is the evil-doer.

  Now I wonder is there a way to obtain more information, namely the name (or at least number) of the column that the conflict occurred on ? It would really ease work a lot.

AH