Re: How to export from a higher Oracle version and import into a lower Oracle version

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 29 Jul 2004 20:01:29 -0700

"dead" <OVOIZBACI-vlasic_at_vodatel.net> wrote in message news:<ceb1mc$2hs$1_at_sunce.iskon.hr>...
> > Well, that was not exactly what you have been told to do, was it?
> > * Why did you copy some binaries from one server to the other?
> > * Is there no network between the two?
> > * If there is a network, why copy binaries instead of properly configuring
> > SQL*Net and run the export from the 9i Server?
> > * If there is no network, is it really worth the effort to copy
> (nonfunctional
> > as you know no) binaries to an removable storage instead of performing
> > a userdefined 9i Client Installation so that you get a functional 9i
> setup
> > on the 10g Server?
> >
> > There are few ways to get your task wrong, but somehow you managed
> > to hit almost all of them ;-)
> >
> > Just setup your tnsnames.ora preferrably with netca or netmgr on the 9i
> Server
> > so that you can connect to the 10g Server with sqlplus. Make sure the
> export views
> > exist by following Sybrands post. Then use exp on the 9i Server and you're
> done.
> >
> > Read Sybrands advice again. Slowly. Try to understand what he says. All
> you need
> > to do is there.
> >
> > HTH
> > Holger
>
> I didn't copy thats files into bin directory of Oracle 10i server, I copy
> them into new directory, because I don't have servers on same network, and
> this is copy of bin directory from 9i client.

Copying the files won't work, as you have already discovered. You SHOULD have installed the 9i client on the 10g machine in a new ORACLE_HOME. Then, you should set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable to this 9i installation, set LD_LIBRARY_PATH appropriately, include the 9i ORACLE_HOME/bin directory in your path and then the 9i export utility should work, again presuming you have created the necessary 9i export/import views in your 10g database. It might be best to have a UNIX user account specifically for this conversion effort, where the environment can be set properly for the 9i client software. Then you could connect to your UNIX server as, say, cvrt, and run the export. This would keep you from having to set and reset your Oracle-dependent environment variables between the 9i client and the 10g server.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Jul 29 2004 - 22:01:29 CDT