Re: Running multiple instances of the same job

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2004 13:27:14 -0700

manishrb_at_hotmail.com (Manish) wrote in message news:<55e6afeb.0407290638.50242f69_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a plsql stored procedure that I am submitting as a job using
> dbms_job.submit. The procedure accepts user id as a param writes to a
> single table that has a user_id column apart from other columns
> (distinct rows for users). Also the amount of execution time is
> different for different user (ranging anywhere from 3 mins to 25
> mins). I have a situation where multiple users would submit requests
> for the job and I want to run them in parallel. I read on AskTom that
> I could set the job_queue_processes to the number of jobs that I want
> to run and this would enable execution in parallel. I would like to
> know if this approach would work in my case as the plsql proc is
> actually writing to the same table ? Will this lead into any kind of
> contention.
>

> Thanks much for your help

Since each job would be accessing rows specific to each user then there should be no locking conflict as long as one user did not submit multiple jobs. If the jobs only read then there is no locking conflict to begin with.

Depending on DML activity (inserts, updates, and deletes) you could run into some resource contention for ITL and freelists if the activity is directed to the same blocks, but this does not seem likely.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jul 29 2004 - 15:27:14 CDT