Re: Oracle 9iAS vs Oracle 10g AS

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Jul 2004 11:20:31 -0700

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<cOZLc.108919$eO.78747_at_edtnps89>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
>
> > One 10g downside: If on Windows, some tools like repca don't work and
> > haven't been around long enough for support to admit it. Even if
> > people complain, support calls about it are never resolved because
> > people just wipe out everything and start over.
> >

> WHile true, the upside is that the 'rest' of 10g can be on Windows and the
> infrastructure/repository be the only thing on a Linux/Unix machine.
>
> Infra should be centralized anyway, and you definitely want a High
> Availability environment, so Linux may not be out of the question ... and
> it encourages NOT putting infra on the same box as the apps.
>
> Somehow I don't envision a person interested in "J2EE only" being concerned
> about Windows environment <g>

<g> But of course, Oracle is trying to make the OS irrelevant. Should anyone care, here's what the release notes say for J2EE, I lol'd at step 1: http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10468_07/relnotes.904/relnotes/reports.htm#sthref459

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
This even messed up me on a DBA contract: