Re: Latch free waits..

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_DELETE_THIS.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:17:06 +0100

In article <xBMNc.20376$K53.3804_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au>, richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com says...
> Actually Ron, using statspack to determine performance issues for these
> types of scenarios is entirely the *wrong* thing to do.

<SNIP>
> A far better "start point" for the OP to take would be to trace just those
> sessions that are "slowing down" with a level 12 10046 event and see
> *exactly* what is causing the slow down. No summarisations, no taking all
> the other transactions data into the mix, no guessing and hoping you might
> stumble on the real issue(s), but *know for sure exactly* what the
> associated waits and resources are that are causing the slow down. Once you
> know what the issues are, what's most affecting the response times, then

Hi Richard,

looks like I've read that book too - I like 'Method R'.

The problem is, what happens if the OP is running MTS - it's a hell of a jigsaw effort to find all the trace files and stich them together in the right order - I know, I've had to do it :o(

How's life in general then - still listening to 'The Laughing Gnome' ? I believe that there's a new verion coming out soon - 'The Laughing KDE' :o)

Sorry, couldn't resist !

Cheers,
Norm.

--

Delete the obvious bit (and the dot) to reply by email.