Re: Session memory usage

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2004 15:01:59 -0700

fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se (Fredrik Bertilsson) wrote in message news:<31f7e57d.0407280201.26084b99_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> does someone know how much memory a user session takes on a Oracle
> database server? How many concurrent user sessions can a normal server
> (4 GB primary memory) handle, before connection pooling is needed?
>
> /Fredrik

For unix systems, search metalink for a document on how to figure out how much memory is being used.

On a particular system, I see each user using two sessions, each session taking up 887M, with around 2M resident and the rest shared or otherwised not bothered with much. The application that drives the client and the two sessions uses about 22M resident per user. I see it generally using about 65% of 8G for an OLTP system with around 60 of these users. It ocassionally chokes when people run giant reports during business hours, but generally is a bit oversized. I would not consider MTS for this system.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
You know it's a really old box if it has a two-digit MHz display on