Re: Oracle 10G for Solaris x86

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:36:32 +0100

"John D Groenveld" <groenvel_at_cse.psu.edu> wrote in message news:ce8reo$aa8$1_at_neuromancer.cse.psu.edu...
> In article <4106a8bd$0$6445$cc9e4d1f_at_news-text.dial.pipex.com>,
> Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> >Not in the case of Oracle. Its pretty damn clear that the OUI folks
either
> >have never considered windows, or have considered and rejected it. VB
>
> OUI worked fine for me with 9.2.0.5 under Windows 2000.
> What are the issues with 10G?

Hi John

OUI works under windows, though since you mention 9205, I assume you have negotiated the fact that the 10g installer comes with that patchset, but doesn't actually remove any earlier versions you might have installed.... I was really addressing the idea that OUI came from a windows developer background. It clearly doesn't. If OUI worked well under Unix (I'm not convinced that it does btw) then fair enough - but I'd definitely prefer a windows installer package for win32. OUI seems to me to be least common denominator stuff. I don't like that when developers treat the database that way, I equally don't like it when suppliers treat the OS that way.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA