Re: Session memory usage

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2004 06:49:39 -0700

fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se (Fredrik Bertilsson) wrote in message news:<31f7e57d.0407280201.26084b99_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
> does someone know how much memory a user session takes on a Oracle
> database server? How many concurrent user sessions can a normal server
> (4 GB primary memory) handle, before connection pooling is needed?
>
> /Fredrik

The amount of memory needed by a sessiond depends on may factors. Are the user front-end, application, sessions also on the same machine as the database? Both the front-end and Oracle session background sessions will need memory.

In the old days 5M per user was a commonly mentioned figure. My guess is that you can support at least 1,000 and probably 2,000 concurrent dedicated sessions if not more.

But if you have a test system you can query v$sesstat for the memory usage of your sessions and multiply this number by your expected user load to get a better idea. After all why just guess?

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jul 28 2004 - 08:49:39 CDT