Re: .Net or Java/J2EE ?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 28 Jul 2004 05:41:05 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1090849186.846367_at_yasure>...
> Krist wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We are evaluating what technology to be used for our database
> > application, the interface could be WIndows or Web based. The database
> > is Oracle 9i on AIX.
> > It involves synchronization with some Oracle on WIndows on remote
> > location.
> >
> > Which one is Better to be used here, .NET or Java ?
> >
> > Thank you for your suggestion,
> > xTanto
>
> Which is best a Motorcycle or an 18 Wheeler?
>
> Do you think the information you provided is sufficient to make such a
> decision? For example, what is the skill set and training of the person
> or persons about to do the work?
>
> But my choice, everything else being equal is J2EE.

I've been in both J2EE and .Net shops. Seems to me that the development time is about the same with either one. One of the project managers on my last project said they evaluated J2EE and .NET very closely and went with .Net because they felt the learning curve to pick up the architecture was significantly quicker than the curve to pick up J2EE(they were primarily staffing up with temps... so that decision made sense).

I've heard the learning curve argument from several people.... though I wouldn't know myself. I would think a competent software engineer who understands object oriented principals could learn either. Received on Wed Jul 28 2004 - 07:41:05 CDT