Re: upgrade oracle 8.1.7 to 9.2, with backup filesystem

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2004 17:40:51 -0700

yls177_at_hotmail.com (yls177) wrote in message news:<c06e4d68.0407261722.37b52537_at_posting.google.com>...
> sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote in message news:<a1d154f4.0407260343.5ae97586_at_posting.google.com>...
> > yls177_at_hotmail.com (yls177) wrote in message news:<c06e4d68.0407252209.1dccea75_at_posting.google.com>...

> > > absoultely.... i will do a backup. but will my proposed solution be
> > > sufficient enough?
> >

> > No. It is not only insufficient, it is outright dangerous. You propose
> > taking a copy of an open database, and you think that is a valid
> > backup. If you would need to use those copies, you would need to do
> > recovery, and likely you can't because your copies are inconsistent,
> > as you didn't take the normal hot backup precautions (ie placing a
> > tablespace in backup mode)
> > Hopefully your regular backup doesn't use this approach.
> > Don't even try to know better. Follow up Mladen's advice or be up for
> > nasty surprises and a trip to the unemployment office.
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
>

> agreed with what u wrote. when i meant "copy the existing filesystem
> to another filesystem" i am doing the either of the below
> 1) shutdown my oracle and copy the filesystem or
> 2) issue "begin backup" of my datafiles
>

> what do u think now?

Not sure what you mean by ..SID and related directories. What platform are you on? If windows, you will have registry issues. If unix, you should have separate oracle_homes and follow OFA. You should understand what your data, redo and control files are and what they do. For a major upgrade you want to have (probably multiple) cold backups.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Also, if you would be so kind to translate all Japanese comments in