Re: .Net or Java/J2EE ?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2004 06:43:14 -0700

xtanto_at_hotmail.com (Krist) wrote in message news:<cb48a3b.0407260519.5143f686_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi All,
>
> We are evaluating what technology to be used for our database
> application, the interface could be WIndows or Web based. The database
> is Oracle 9i on AIX.
> It involves synchronization with some Oracle on WIndows on remote
> location.
>
> Which one is Better to be used here, .NET or Java ?

Decide what your problem is.

If it is the cross database synchronisation then I'd use the inbuilt capabilities of Oracle and no external components at all if I could help it.

If it is presenting a client/server application to windows users where you don't control the build of the client workstations I'd be sorely tempted to use a traditional programming language and data access method (C/OCI/ADO delphi etc).

If it is a multiple tier application then what is the environment for the middle tier going to be, and why. Do you have any admin/programming/tuning experience in any of your candidate technologies.

What is the IT strategy for your organisation for the next 2-5 years? Are you throing out windows and going with linux. Have you secured a great deal with ms and are ditching your Unix infrastructure.

In short consider the business and technological environment that the app will run in before you make this sort of decision, and then *exploit the chosen technology fully(, make it database and platform specific and get the best out of your investment.

Niall.

Alternatively buy the technology with the best Powerpoint Sales pitch. its worked for thousands of CIOs. Received on Tue Jul 27 2004 - 08:43:14 CDT