Re: connecting automatically as sys

From: Joe <nospam_at_joekaz.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:59:47 -0400

On 07/25/2004 03:27 PM, Daniel Morgan said:

> Joe wrote:

>>>Why? A strong desire to compromise security?
>>

>>Not at all - why do you suggest that?
>>
>>If I need to update the password verify function across 800+ instances,
>>and o7_dictionary_accessibility=false as it should be, it can be a pain
>>to connect as sys across that many servers. If the function could be
>>created in another schema, it's pretty easy for me to loop through all
>>800 instances from one central place, and do the create or replace.
>>Also, since exp/imp doesn't handle sys objects like a normal schema,
>>it's just one more thing that you have to handle differently.
>>
>>Actually, I wish Oracle would add some more profile parameters such as
>>minimum_length=6 and non_alpha_required=2, so you could do a much better
>>job without the verify_function.
>

> And also easy for someone else to do it too. Inflicting damage not just
> in one place but in all.

If someone other than a DBA could get at, and modify a password verify function, regardless of who owns it, then there are bigger problems to worry about!

> Seems to me it would be better to invest the time and have a more secure > environment. Of course there is always OPS$ORACLE.

What about ops$oracle? I'm not sure what you mean. It can't create a password verify function as SYS either. I just think that Oracle Corp can do a few things to make a DBA's life easier, and still maintain security.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/