"connect / as sysdba" raises 12560 error. -- Response

From: David Fitzjarrell <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Jul 2004 20:26:22 -0700

> I have 9.2.0.1 rinning on Win2k Server SP4.
>
> when I sqlplus /nolog to run "connect / as sysdba",it throws 12560
> error.
> The listener is runing well.
>
> I don't start the oraclesid service,I doubt that starting the service
> is necessary because I want to start database not mount it.
>
> In 8.1.7,the same problem(using svrmgrl&sqlplus /nolog) exists.
>
> Any Suggestions?
>

> Thanks.
> wy.

Yes. Start the OracleService<sid>. You cannot even start the instance nomount without the service running on Windows 2000, or on any Windows platform. This is covered in the Windows-specific documentation for Oracle:

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a95491/admin.htm#1007223

Quoting from said documentation:

"OracleServiceSID
Created for the database instance System Identifier (SID), where SID is the value you entered for the database name during Oracle9i installation. This service is mandatory. If is it not started, then the following ORA-12560 error message appears when you attempt to use any of Oracle9i Utilities, such as SQL*Plus:

ORA-12560 TNS: protocol adapter error"

You have no other choice but to start the service.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sun Jul 25 2004 - 22:26:22 CDT