Re: connecting automatically as sys

From: Joe <nospam_at_joekaz.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:05:26 -0400

On 07/24/2004 06:41 PM, Daniel Morgan said:

> Joe wrote:
>

>>On 07/20/2004 11:25 PM, Hans Forbrich said:

>>>5) I can think of no valid reason, at least effective Oracle8i, to
>>>attempt
>>>ANY coding against SYS. Playing at that level is roughly equivalent to
>>>coding against the kernel data structures of a proprietary (closed
>>>source)
>>>OS.
>>

>>Does a password_verify_function still have to be owned by SYS? If so,
>>I wish oracle would change that.
>>

> Why? A strong desire to compromise security?

Not at all - why do you suggest that?

If I need to update the password verify function across 800+ instances, and o7_dictionary_accessibility=false as it should be, it can be a pain to connect as sys across that many servers. If the function could be created in another schema, it's pretty easy for me to loop through all 800 instances from one central place, and do the create or replace. Also, since exp/imp doesn't handle sys objects like a normal schema, it's just one more thing that you have to handle differently.

Actually, I wish Oracle would add some more profile parameters such as minimum_length=6 and non_alpha_required=2, so you could do a much better job without the verify_function.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/