Re: connecting automatically as sys

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 00:25:19 GMT

Joe wrote:

> On 07/20/2004 11:25 PM, Hans Forbrich said:

>> 5) I can think of no valid reason, at least effective Oracle8i, to
>> attempt
>> ANY coding against SYS.  Playing at that level is roughly equivalent to
>> coding against the kernel data structures of a proprietary (closed
>> source) OS.

> Does a password_verify_function still have to be owned by SYS? If
> so, I wish oracle would change that.

Password_verify_function needs to be owned by SYS, even in 9iR2.

I must say I'm quite surprised that the latest Oracle8i and Oracle9i security capabilities do not meet your needs (see the Security Overview docco at http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage), but nevertheless ...

I stand corrected and ack that there are reasons for writing a function against SYS.

I hope you take the time to look at the changes in the security model. You might be able to save some headache related to the Oracle9i "no svrmgl" situation.

However for now, you would use SYSDBA-password authentication (check for OSDBA, OSOPER and ORAPWD in the docco). Locally, from the OS userid that created/owns the database, you could use

SQLPLUS "/ AS SYSDBA" and remotely, or from a local non-owning OS userid, you would use

SQLPLUS /NOLOG
and return "SYS/{passwd} AS SYSDBA" (no quotes) to the first prompt.

HTH
/Hans
(Thanks for following through and explaining at least part - probably a benefit to a number of others as well.) Received on Sat Jul 24 2004 - 19:25:19 CDT