Re: Control File Sequential Read - top wait

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Jul 2004 20:56:38 GMT

pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm encountering problem that I have never seen before. According to
> Statspack report, control file sequential read wait is one of the top
> one waits (on Monday first, Tuesday second, today third)

Something has to be the top wait.

> and roughly
> has the same total wait time as db file sequential read.

And what is that total?

> Average wait
> is 4ms, but there is many of them.

How many of them are there?

> There are three control files, created as raw devices on three
> different disks. The control files are not stripped, but as a storage
> we're using EMC's DMX, so this should be sufficient for something not
> really read demanding as are (usually) control files. Our statistics
> from nmon64 showed that disk drives, where these control files are
> stored, are not overloaded (at most 40%).
> There is almost nothing on Metalink related to this (only place on
> other device).
>
> Have anyone encountered something like this?

Yes. During periods when my database is bored out its gourd, control file I/O waits are often the top waits. What kind of load was your system under during the collection?

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB