Re: Import\Export 101 Questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:14:28 +0200

On 22 Jul 2004 14:10:51 -0700, melliott42_at_yahoo.com (Michael) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I must say first that you Oracle members here are very helpful and I
>really appreciate all your time, advice and patience on helping me get
>up-to-speed on Oracle! :-)
>
>I have a few questions on Exporting and Importing using Oracle 8.17 on
>a Sun Solaris 8 system.
>
>1. How can I determine the size an export file will be prior to
>running exp? I am concerned about disk space capacity.

You can't. If you are concened about capacity export to a pipe , read the output from the pipe in a separate process and compress it. Be aware, compress is a flaky tool.

>2a. When performing an Import (imp) of a set of tables how can I
>specify to overwrite existing tables (and Indexes)?
You can't. You need to drop them beforehand. You could of course drop the user prior to importing.
Is this done
>automatically?

No

>2b. On table imports do you need to rebuild the corresponding Indexes?

The export will contain appropiate create index statements. If the indexes exist they won't be recreated.
> If yes would that be something like: ALTER TABLE REBUILD INDEX
><indexname>?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Michael

Question for you: I guess you didn't rtfrm prior to asking this?

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA