Re: Oracle 9iAS vs Oracle 10g AS

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 01:25:28 GMT

Joel Garry wrote:

> One 10g downside: If on Windows, some tools like repca don't work and
> haven't been around long enough for support to admit it. Even if
> people complain, support calls about it are never resolved because
> people just wipe out everything and start over.

WHile true, the upside is that the 'rest' of 10g can be on Windows and the infrastructure/repository be the only thing on a Linux/Unix machine.

Infra should be centralized anyway, and you definitely want a High Availability environment, so Linux may not be out of the question ... and it encourages NOT putting infra on the same box as the apps.

Somehow I don't envision a person interested in "J2EE only" being concerned about Windows environment <g>

(However, I do suggest that anyone heading down the EJB path should read "Better, Faster, Lighter Java" - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bfljava/ and possibly rethink that direction. EJB has a very important place, but too many J2EE developers are enamoured, or hopelessly lost, with the complexity.) Received on Thu Jul 22 2004 - 20:25:28 CDT